Manufacturer and model: Bruker DektakXTTM Stylus Profiler
Delivering Repeatable Measurements
- Measurement Technique - Stylus profilometry (contact measurement)
- Measurement Capability - Two-dimensional surface profile measurements; Optional three-dimensional measurement/analyses
- Sample Viewing - Digital magnification, 0.275 to 2.2 mm vertical FOV
- Stylus Force - 1 to 15 mg with LIS 3 sensor
- Low Force Option - N-Lite+ Low Force with 0.03 to 15 mg
- Sample X/Y Stage - Manual 100 mm (4 in.) X/Y, manual leveling; Motorized 150 mm (6 in.) X/Y, manual leveling
- Sample R-Theta Stage - Manual, continuous 360 degrees; Motorized, continuous 360 degrees
- Software - Vision64 Operation and Analysis Software; Stress Measurement; Microform; Stitching; 3D Mapping; Optional: Stitching; Pattern Recognition; Advanced Production Interface (API)
- Scan Length Range - 55 mm (2 in.); 200 mm (8 in.) with scan stitching capability
- Data Points Per Scan - 120,000 maximum
- Max. Sample Thickness - 50 mm (1.95 in.)
- Max. Wafer Size - 200 mm (8 in.)
- Step Height Repeatability - 4Å, 1 sigma on steps _1 _m (30 scans using a 12.5 _m stylus)
- Vertical Range - 1 mm (0.039 in.)
- Vertical Resolution - 1Å (@ 6.55 _m range)
Several advances in the DektakXT design contribute to its performance of 4-angstrom repeatability. Implementing a single-arch architecture, the DektakXT platform is stiffer and sturdier than cantilever-type designs, which reduces sensitivity to adverse environmental conditions, such as acoustic and seismic noise. Complementing this arch architecture, Bruker has significantly improved the stability of the electronics, reducing temperature variations and employing modern processors. These “smart electronics” employ advances in circuitry design to minimize error-inducing noise, making the DektakXT a more robust system for measuring <10nm step heights. The combination of unique single-arch design and smart electronics results in a much lower noise floor and sets the DektakXT apart from competitive stylus profiler offerings.
After collection, the automated leveling, auto step detection, and filters in the Data Analyzer make analysis quick and simple. Whether applying a routine analysis to single scans through the use of a recipe or experimenting with a variety of filter settings and calculations, the Data Analyzer shows operators exactly what is being done with the data and what other possible analyses can be applied.
Thin Film Inspection
DektakXT provides the ability to quickly and easily set up and run automated multi-site measurement routines to verify the precise thickness of thin films across the wafer surface, down to the nanometer scale.
Surface Roughness Verification
The DektakXT is ideal for routine qualification of surface roughness on precision machined parts for a wide variety of industries, including automotive, aeropspace, and medical devices.
Verifying Design and Performance
Dektak can measure large vertical features of sensitive materials (up to 1mm tall) with angstrom-level repeatability. Researchers in MEMS and microfluidics industries can rely on DektakXT for the critical measurements needed to verify their parts are built to specification. The low force measurement capability, NLite+, applies a light touch to sensitive materials to measure vertical steps and roughness accurately without damaging the sample’s surface.